Friday, May 04, 2007

Runaways #26

Runaways #26
Happy. That's how reading this issue made me feel. Happy. Pure joy. Last issue was the first issue of this title that I read. You know why. For various reasons, I had never read beyond the recap page of any other issue. But after reading last issue, I just had to go and read every. Single. Issue. What an EXCELLENT story! I can't believe that all that time I was missing out on this truly wonderful story. Okay, well, actually, I read the FCBD story last year, and really wasn't impressed. And then, following my reading of all the back issues, I still wsn't impressed. That book was AWFUL! But this title is wonderful. And this issue is wonderful. Joss is fast paced, tells a complete story, and gets us from point A to point B in 22 pages - which seem like much more considering how much info he's packed into it. A cute Punisher cameo, with him on the receiving end of a Molly punch ("I didn't know he didn't have Powers" she cries). Some uncharacteristic internal monologues from Kingpin and Punisher, but you'd expect that from Joss Whedon. It's just bursting at the seams to be let out of his brain, and some of it must need to seep out. That's what I expect, and I'm willing to overlook it. Still, a bit jarring, but it's truly kept to a minimum. By the way, I love Molly! I want her to be MY kid! Except I don't want to be an evil mind-controlling mutant who tries to take over the world and prepare the way for some Biblical giants to rid the Earth of humanity by sacrificing innocent virgins to them, but you know what I mean. Another EXCELLENT issue in an EXCELLENT series. (Oh, and it's worth noting that even though BKV gave its writer a nod of approval, Runaways/Young Avengers sucked ASS.)

No comments: