Monday, July 09, 2007

Black Canary #1
Really, not that good. I was sincerely hoping for more. The scenes with Dinah interacting with Sin are competently executed, but I just can't bring myself to care much about the overall plot, probably because it involves characters that I am either unfamiliar with, or just don't care about much. I'm speaking, of course, of Dinah's ex-husband (what?) and Merlyn, respectively. Merlyn was a member of the league of Assassins? Huh. Whatever. Who cares? Also, though he claims to have come by most of the GA paraphernalia in his office "the hard way", what does that really mean? That he fought GA for a picture of him and Speedy? That he got beat up and Ollie left behind one of his action figures? Really? Sorry, that makes no sense!
Why is Dinah's motel room GREEN? And WHY is she staying in a MOTEL? She's been asked to wed one of the richest men in the DCU, and she's slumming it? WHY?
And is it just me, or does it seem at all strange to anyone that Dinah apparently uses her costume as jammies? It's actually quite disturbing. Dinah's getting ready for bed, Sin goes out to the ice machine, gets approached by a stranger, and Dinah shows up in full regalia to kick his ass. Isn't that odd? IS it just me? I suppose that fishnet stockings must be very comfortable to sleep in.
EH, whatever. Too bad this wasn't written by Gail Simone, it'd have been ten times better.

No comments: