Thursday, March 08, 2007

JSA Classified #23

JSA Classified #23
This is a vampire story. Maybe I'm showing my ignorance here, but I can't recall vampires ever having been a large part of the mythology of the DCU. Sure, they're everywhere in the Marvel Universe: Blade, Bloodstone, Morbius, Wolverine: Lord of the Vampires, even Dracula. The only
vampires I can recall in the DCU are heroes from alternate dimensions or other planets - not really vampires in the traditional sense. Yet, in this issue, JT Krul - whom I've never heard of - does a vampire story. And he picks Doctor Mid-Nite as the protagonist! I don't know, but that just really doesn't strike me as a good fit. And it's not even a good story! And the art by Sanchez and Purcell is some of the ugliest work I've ever seen. The linework is sloppy, proportions are all off, and faces are really bad. This issue is AWFUL. I think I'll come back to this title in two issues to see what's next. But I'm not expecting much, because the last few issues have likewise been no good.

No comments: