Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Blade #7

Blade #7
I'm still not sure if I like this title. However, that means that I don't hate it. Honestly, I had very low expectations of this series. It seemed to me that it was merely being written in order to capitalize on the Civil War event, yet that issue came and went, and had very little to do with Civil War itself. And when I read the first issue and saw Chaykin's artwork - or what he was passing off as artwork - I must say that I was extremely nonplussed. But giving credit where credit is due, Chaykin's work in this issue is very palatable. It's obviously his work, but it's much, much cleaner than I've seen him draw recently. No Liefeld lines all over the place, no sloppy inking, nothing that would lead someone to comment that he was just "phoning it in". No, this work is actually very solid. And with that in mind, I shall continue reading this series. Not because I'm liking the story or anything, because really, I have formed no emotional connection to it whatsoever, but specifically because Chaykin's work on this issue proves that he is by far the best choice of artist for this book. It's really marvellous. Who would have thought it possible? Not I.
Very OKAY.

No comments: