Friday, December 01, 2006

The Immortal Iron Fist #1

The Immortal Iron Fist #1
For the first 16 pages, this book was a lot of fun. Well written, intriguing concept, competent execution...and then it took a turn towards WTF-land. This series gets back to the long forgotten concept of Danny Rand being just the latest in a series of mystical warriors gifted with the Iron Fist, which herein is portrayed more as a mystical ability than as a martial arts technique which anyone could learn - as Bendis hinted at during his run on Daredevil. That's not a problem for me. What is a problem, however, is the conflicting origin stories told herein by Brubaker...one which has Danny's father dying, and one which has him disappearing...within the pages of the selfsame book. To me, that's just sloppy, but perhaps he's going somewhere with this. I'll have to keep reading the series to find out, I guess. It would be interesting to me to find out exactly where this falls in the DaredevilFist chronology.
A very solidly GOOD first issue.
(Is it just me, or is Danny's Iron Fist costume really gay?)

No comments: