Wednesday, July 19, 2006

X-Men #188

X-Men #188
The art is AWFUL!!!!!!
Iceman looks like Martian Manhunter, Cannonball looks like Nick Fury, I couldn't even tell that the third figure that came crashing through the wall was Cyclops until the dialogue clued me in, one two page spread looks as if it's underwater, until you realize that it's actually supposed to be an action snapshot. I had enough of Bachalo's art with the Age of Apocalypse mini, where the writing was AWFUL too. I thought I'd never have to read it again. Seriously, when you have to go back and forth in a book comparing dialogue to illustrations and subsequent panels to the preceding, it really sucks all of the enjoyment out of reading. Half the time, I can't tell what Bachalo is trying to draw. It all looks like rubble to me. I think I might hate his recent work even more than I hate Rob Liefeld, and that's pretty bad.
Regarding the story:
I can't figure out how in the world Cannonball could take down Sabretooth, except that bouncing(?) has something to do with it - since Bachalo doesn't even bother to have it happen on-panel...maybe it was too hard for him to draw?
And why the hell is professor X around? Especially following Deadly Genesis, I'm sure that the X-Men wouldn't tolerate him just walking freely around the school. Unless it's a company mandate - because Brubaker has convinced them that he needs Professor X for some reason. I just hope he's gone next issue, as Brubaker will have him off in space with the Uncanny X-Men.
Regarding the mansion illustration following the story - isn't it kind of silly to have a fence in front of the mansion, but not around the rest of the grounds? Anyone who wanted to break in could just do so through an unfenced area, no? And apparently there are fifty mutants living in the mansion. Oookay...
Anyways, the writing in this issue is pretty good - dialogue is excellent - but what with the godawful art by Chris Bachalo, it just makes it tedious to read, so OKAY. Like Paul O'Brien, I can't wait for the first issue with fill-in art.
And I meant to ask this earlier, but does anybody have any idea what's supposed to be going on on the cover? I see some people there who aren't even in the book! Or does Bachalo just like drawing Cable? Ugh...he is really the worst.
Last issue

No comments: