Wednesday, July 19, 2006

X-Men #187

X-Men #187
Here we are, one month later again. Oh, well.
Personally, I never cared for Milligan's run on X-Men. In fact, when my subscription ran out, I saw no point in renewing it. That said, this past arc was not that bad. I am still turned off by the relationship between Rogue, Gus, and Mystique. And I don't really understand why Remy's personality has changed so much. Others have, at one time or another, also been horsemen of Apocalypse - Angel, Wolverine - and they came out of it without the excessive mental reconditioning that Gambit has. If Remy's entire focus in joining Apocalypse was to beat him from the inside, then I'm really not sure how he has now lost sight of that.
The art is nice, as usual, with one exception: On page 15 the colorist colors Emma as Gambit, not noticing she's wearing high heels. It took me a minute to figure out what the hell was going on there, and I had to keep looking back and forth. This makes an excellent argument for circular editing. Let the penciller read the finished product after it has been inked and colored. That way such mistakes will be caught.
Anyways, Milligan says goodbye to Polaris, which is kind of funny, because Brubaker brings her back one week later! Oh, well. An OKAY issue, but I don't think I'll be missing Milligan anytime soon. However, I will definitely miss Salvador Larocca. After taking a look at the cover of X-Men #188, I miss him already, but that's fodder for another column.

No comments: