Monday, August 21, 2006

Deadman #1

Deadman #1
I was apprehensive when I began reading this book, and even more apprehensive at the end. Where is Boston Brand? Has he been retconned out of existence? If so, then who is it who has helped Batman and Green Arrow all those times, some in the recent past? If, however, we're just paving the way for an all-new, all-different Deadman, then I don't mind so much...as long as Boston is still around somewhere. Taken with that supposition in mind, I quite enjoyed this first issue. It gave the reader a true sense of what it might feel like to be newly dead or dying, unable or unwilling to let go of this mortal coil, and thus causing oneself endless torments. It's obvious from the final page of this issue that Brandon's Deadman abilities are very different from Boston's, different enough for me to feel comfortable holding out hope for BB's survival (heh).
The issue has very strong images, reminiscent of 9/11, and I am interested more in the "motivations" for the attack, and the British reaction, than I am in the new character himself. Cayce is interesting, though. And I intend to read upcoming issues to resolve all my questions (including whether or not Boston Brand will be involved in this series in any way, shape, or form). A very GOOD start.

No comments: