Friday, November 23, 2007

Catwoman #73

Catwoman #73
When it seemed that the new direction for Catwoman was going to regress her to her old ways, I was somewhat dismayed. Happily, though, my fears have not yet been brought to bear. Though I still dread the supposed "new" direction, Catwoman is currently just struggling to stay alive. After giving up Helena, because really, what else could she do? Helena kept getting abducted and threatened by murderous psychos! and breaking all ties to her old life, Selina returned home last issue, passed out, and awoke to an empty apartment. Empty, that is, save for a bomb. Her mask was gone, her whip was gone, her goggles were gone...and then in this issue, when she goes to attempt recovery of her reserve stash, that's gone too! Somebody is gunning for our heroine, and I don't know why. Altogether too many people know her identity. And she relies on Calculator much more than she should. I mean, come on! Oracle would definitely take her calls! I suppose I can understand Selina's actions psychologically. She's just lost her baby and all last vestiges of her former life. To call upon the allies of the Bat - yet again - would just be too much for her psyche to take. So she's protecting herself by distancing herself. But it's backfiring. And I look forward to her figuring out that she has true friends in this world, and not merely acquaintances who don't want to kill her all of the time. Another VERY GOOD job by Messrs. Pfeifer and Lopez. Exactly why I return to this title every month.

No comments: