Friday, January 05, 2007

Nightwing #128

Nightwing #128
Well, Marv Wolfman's first arc comes to a close. I would have much preferred a more cosmic, Monitor related story, especially to tie up the plot thread wherein Nightwing heard a voice saying "you should have died". Instead, he's been fighting guys in armor suits for the past four issues, getting buried alive (which is pretty stupid - seriously, kill him first), hunting someone who was killing scientists, and getting his own tech guy. Until this issue, we actually had no idea why any of this was happening! Expository dialogue in the issue explains that when Luthorcorp went bankrupt, the project heads of the Raptor project took it, along with some other projects, to set themselves up privately. But one of the heads is very morally corrupt, so he hired a contract killer to murder all the scientists who knew that he was the project head, and added Nightwing to the list for some unexplained reason. And then, as field testing, he has the man in the armor go on a rampage in New York. Yeah, that's a good idea! And there's apparently a radiation core leak in the suit, so anyone using it gets cooked. And then, it turns out that this project's "client" was none other than Luthor himself, who says "nobody steals from Lex Luthor" and explodes the floors they're on, killing everyone. I was thinking okay, but now that I've written it out, it's really more of an EH. I expected more from Wolfman, although, I was recently reading some Titans issues from the 80's and 90's, and they really weren't very good at all! So I suppose that I should have known better. I hope it gets better, but judging from the next issue solicitations, it appears that it will get worse first. Whatever, it certainly can't be as bad as Bruce Jones' stuff, can it? Can it? Gee, the more I think of it, the more I wan't to say that this issue was crap...

No comments: