Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #212

Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #212
I don't often read this title, and have avoided it like the plague since the conclusion of Justin Grey's AWFUL arc, as Bruce Jones - that hack - was doing an arc, but when I saw that this issue was a one-shot being written by Adam Beechen whose Robin issues I've enjoyed so much, I decided to give this issue a look. And I wasn't disappointed. A done in one story about a nerdy guy who hooks up with a shallow girl on the merit of having saved her life when he and she get caught in the middle of a fight between Batman and some random mercenaries. It's cute, if basically shallow, but it's done in one, and nowadays very few writers are able to pull that off. Paul Dini has been doing an EXCELLENT job of it on Detective Comics. So, I'd have to say that this issue is a very solid GOOD. And if more issues were like this, focusing on people whose lives have been affected by the Bat instead of just more stories about the Bat, I think that I'd read this title more regularly. Sort of like a Tangled Web for Batman. Once upon a time, the Gotham Nights mini did the same thing. It'd be nice to see this become a regular theme in this title. But of course, that's not going to happen, and of course, nobody listens to me, so why even bother reading the next issue? But this issue is a very solid read, if you're bored.

No comments: