Monday, November 20, 2006

Birds of Prey #100

Birds of Prey #100
I've been looking forward to this issue for several months now. Although it isn't as good as I had expected it would be, it's still quite EXCELLENT, all the more so since it did not neglect the interaction between Canary and her new sister/daughter Sin. That's the one thing which I may miss most about her departure from the team. The Birds of Prey have always been about the chicks of the DCU, although never exclusively, recalling Beetle's tenure with them, as well as their attempted recruitment of the new Blue Beetle. I agree with Paul's comment as to breasts being, apparently, the only qualification for inclusion on this new team. That said, it surprises me that Babs would have sent out so many invites before whittling the selection down to her top picks, especially when some of those she invited were certain to refuse, as did Power Girl. And since Babs is now going on a recruitment drive, I find that it calls even further into question the decision that she made regarding her treatment of the new Batgirl. I would think that that would have been a perfect place to start beefing up the roster, especially since one of her goals used to be the training of superheroines. With a teacher of Helena's caliber on the permanent roster, her group would be an excellent place to accomplish that. Sort of like a school for metas. Some of her choices seem extremely obscure - I've been reading this series since the days of Gorf, and I still can't figure out who many of the invitees are. I love the inclusion of Kate Spencer on the team, especially since she functions entirely within her civilian identity on it. Barda mystifies me - is that "Big" Barda or the "Little" Barda that was introduced in Teen Titans? It's never made clear. I would assume it to be Big Barda, since she acquits herself competently, but I may be wrong. Anyways, like I said, this issue is quite EXCELLENT. I do hope that the Canary and Sin story is not allowed to fall by the wayside. Even without any sort of superheroing, it's still an interesting relationship.

No comments: